Thursday, February 17, 2011

10 Reasons Why This Week Sucked

Saturday, October 31, 2009

10 Reasons Why This Week Sucked

Well, I don't mean to be a downer on my blog, but some weeks will do that to a person. This week was one such week. I shall now explain WHY it sucked.
10. I was extremely tired all week, such that every day my alarm rang, I didn't want to wake up but instead desired to snuggle in bed under the warm covers.

9. I dislike being around germs but everyone at school is sick and disgusting (some, of course, through no fault of their own). I spent the entire week on high alert starting Tuesday morning when my friend was encouraged to go home because she was swine-symptomatic. As it turned out, she never developed a fever so probably only had a cold, but it was still a frenzied time for me imagining the swine flu infiltrating my life.

8. I've been bothered all week long because my hair is ridiculously long since my aunt, whom I asked 2 weeks ago to cut my hair, has given me the run-around brush off (as she always does) and it continues to grow to a length which covers my damned eyes and looks slovenly.

7. I was very busy all week, having a faculty meeting on Monday, the gym on Tuesday, my eye tests at Kremer on Wednesday, the gym again on Thursday, and the end of the marking period preparations all week (since the dumb 1st mp ends next Tuesday.)
6. My students were particularly hateful this week, annoying me with their attitudes, their sense of entitlement, and their know-it-all behaviors. They gave attitude at everything, complained to guidance about their papers (like, I'm sorry, but what is guidance going to do?), had their parents write emails about their papers, whined about assignments.... everything. It was disgusting and unacceptable and made me irate and frustrated.

5. I got a text on Thursday from Brian telling me that Lily's babysitter and her daughter (who teaches elementary school and lives at home with her parents) both have fever, diarrhea, and coughs (you know--swine flu). Brian and Lily had started their day with coughs as well. This babysitter was trying to act like all they had was a bad cold. Come on! Sell that shizz somewhere else! What rock has she been living under? Swine is only all over the news and spreading rapidly across everywhere. Her daughter is an elementary school teacher whose class has been out sick with swine for most of the week. Is there some reason she can't connect the dots? Is she trying for a positive PR spin on it? Give me a damned break. This phone call prompted a flash of hysteria for me and then, in turn, my work friend, Steve, whose kid also goes to the same sitter. We were trying to formulate TamaFlu appointments (for the record, Lily is too young for TamaFlu as it causes diarrhea in young children and Brian does not have pre-existing conditions so they won't give it to him) and were dissing people for living under rocks.

4. As it turns out, Brian and Lily have something, too. Brian has been down for the count since Thursday with a cough, fever, body aches, and fatigue. Lily has a fever and cough and runny nose (but has, interestingly, not otherwise seemed ill at all). I stayed home yesterday to take care of them both and am trying my hardest to fight it out without getting it myself. I've been sleeping in the guest room and washing my hands a lot and just generally been trying to stay rested and clean and well. Today, though, I feel daggers in my throat when I swallow, which is not a great sign. I'm not giving up, though. At minimum, my goal is to stay well until Brian is better so if/when I get sick, someone is around who can take care of me!

3. I got a call yesterday from Kremer telling me that, after 7 months of tests and being out of contacts and having a surgery date only to have it canceled the morning-of, I cannot get any kind of refractive surgery. My dream of opening my eyes in the morning and being able to see will always be just that--a dream. I'm obviously very disappointed and annoyed, but at least I have a final answer. I'm not trying to get something that would cause me blindness or halos or anything else negative. I really rather wish that someone had just said I wasn't a candidate 7 months ago, but what's done is done. Now I have to move on. I put in a call to my regular eye doctor so I can see about getting some soft lenses (instead of the hard ones)--maybe I can get extended wear ones so that some days I can wake up and see the alarm clock across the room. It's not quite the same, but I guess is the next best thing?

2. I'm bored being cooped up in the house all weekend since everyone is sick. My house is a pigsty, too, because we have too much shit and really need to declutter. I think I may get rid of some of Lily's old toys today. We have too much STUFF and it bugs me because it's everywhere.

1. I am getting disheartened by the lack of responses I've had for my birthday party. Granted, the RSVP date is Nov. 7th, but I'm just getting the sense that people are not going to come. When I tried getting RSVPs last week at wine club, the response was quite underwhelming. One person said nothing at all. One person said, "I haven't RSVPed yet because I think I may be really stressed that weekend." One person said, "Oh, when do we need to RSVP by? The 7th?" in this way that was basically indicating that she'd have to check her schedule to see if she could fit in my 'little' party. Plus I invited 3 out-of-state friends who probably won't be able to come because the drive is so long, but who I just wanted there anyway because they're some of my best friends. So really, I just have this feeling as though my 29th birthday party--which I've been planning for months and for which I designed a birthday card and paid $30 to print 12 of them, and for which I've got great ideas for the menu and am ordering a fun birthday cake--is going to end up being this teeny, tiny little party for 5 people. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, of course, but it isn't quite what I had in mind. I've always had intimate parties because I've always ever had a small band of close friends, so it's normal. I was just sort of hoping for my tea party to be more like a party. Whatever. It's still going to be great. I just wish more people would be here to enjoy it with me.

Anyway, I acknowledge that all of life doesn't suck. In a general sense, I'm quite happy. But this week I've been annoyed by all of these other things. These are my gripes for the past week. Thank you for reading. I'll try to perk up in my next post!
Posted by Natalie M at 10:57 AM 0 comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment